Evaluating power design is an important step in any IT infra setup process because ineffective power usage can easily result in higher costs and damaging downtime. Power Distribution Units (PDUs) are Heart of the Data Centers. They are a critical part of the Rack solution as any downtime or product failure can directly impact the operation of mission-critical equipment further affecting the business processes. The timely review and certification of PDUs are therefore crucial to meet data center uptime requirements.
The relevance of right PDUs hold utmost importance, therefore, while choosing PDUs one needs to look for some of the highly valued global certifications available like:
- Underwriters Laboratories (UL) assures products or manufacturing processes that meet the global set standards and safety measures
- European Conformity (CE) indicates that the product complies with the essential requirements of the applicable European laws or Directives concerning safety, health, environment, and consumer protection. Thereby, it qualifies to be accepted in 30 countries of the European Economic Area (EEA)
- Certification Body (CB) indicates that a product has passed certain tests and endorses mutual acceptance of product safety test reports and certificates for electrical and electronic equipment, devices, and components
- ElectroMagnetic Compatibility (EMC) ensures your electronic or electrical device does not emit a large amount of electromagnetic interference and continues to function as intended in the presence of several electromagnetic phenomena.
- Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS), the European Union environmental directive restricts the use of specific hazardous materials found in electrical and electronic products. It evades harmful environmental upshots to ensure healthy occupational exposure during the manufacturing and recycling process.
- The Low Voltage Directive (LVD) ensures that electrical equipment within certain voltage limits provides a high level of protection set by the European Union. It delivers a high level of protection to the health and safety of people/property.
Having a PDU certified with these globally trusted certification bodies will guarantee that you get a professionally designed product that is highly reliable, dependable, safe and secure for use.
While procuring PDUs, paying close attention to types of certification that a product holds can pay off in a big way.
By Ravi Raj U, Director Sales & Support at NetRack Enclosures Pvt Ltd